CHICKEN SATAY (G)
(makes ~ 20 skewers)
500g chicken meat, cubed
3 shallots, diced
2 large garlic cloves
1/4 inch ginger
1/4 inch galangal
3 stalks lemongrass
2 candle nuts
2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toasted
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
1/2 teaspoon black cumin seeds, toasted
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 cube chicken bouillon
2 tablespoons cooking oil + more for brushing
Method (needs to be marinated overnight)
- In a food processor, blend together the shallots, garlic, ginger, galangal, 2 stalks of lemongrass and the candle nuts with a little bit of water, just enough for it to grind smoothly.
- In a dry food processor, grind the toasted seeds.
- Mix the chicken with the ground ingredients, turmeric powder, sugar, salt, crumbled chicken bouillon and 2 tablespoon of cooking oil. Refrigerate overnight. Soak the wooden skewers in water overnight as well.
- Once marinated, thread about 3 to 4 pieces of the marinated chicken onto the wooden skewers.
- Lightly pound the fat end of the remaining lemongrass stalk just to break it down slightly.
- Reserve the marinade and 1 cup of oil for brushing.
- Grill it on direct heat (if using a barbecue grill) or on a griddle pan over the stove. Leave it to cook for about 3 to 4 minutes each side.
- Brush alternately with the marinade and the oil.
Enjoy with a lot of peanut sauce, cucumber slices and some onions. Why not try with beef or lamb?