STRAWBERRY DREAM PIE (G) (V)
1 recipe for Pie Crust
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup whipping cream, chilled
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons gelatine powder
8 tablespoons cold water
8 tablespoons strawberry jam
1 punnet of strawberries, washed and tops cut
- Scatter the gelatine over the cold water and leave it to soak up the water for a few minutes.
- Heat a small pan over a low heat and melt the gelatine in the pan. Leave it to cool slightly at room temperature.
- Beat the softened cream cheese until smooth using an electric mixer.
- In a different, chilled bowl, whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla extract until thick. Pour about 1 teaspoon of the gelatine liquid into the whipped cream in a small and steady stream while still whisking. It will thicken the mixture immediately. Stop whisking.
- Fold the whipped cream mixture into the beaten cream cheese until smooth and well incorporated. Spread the cream mixture in the cooled pie crust and refrigerate while you prepare the strawberry jam layer.
- Spoon the jam into a saucepan and melt it on a low heat. Spoon in the remaining gelatine mixture into it and stir to combine. Remove from heat and cool.
- Cut the strawberries in half and arrange them on top of the pie cream layer, cut face down.
- When the jam mixture is cooled but still pourable, pour it on top of the strawberries to cover it.
- Chill the pie in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 4 to 6 hours.
- Cut and serve. Great on its own!
Copyright Nur Shahida Wahab